- A new Chapter 15, “Fostering Good Mental Health and Emotional Well-Being,” emphasizes the importance of addressing the critical issues of mental health, children’s stress, and challenging behaviors–and suggests resources teachers can use to find help in dealing with problem behaviors.
- New icons throughout the text identify increased coverage of professionally recognized standards and practices. In addition, a convenient new Standards Correlation Chart on the book’s inside front cover highlights content related to NAEYC Standards for Early Childhood Professional Preparation Programs, Developmentally Appropriate Practice (DAP) in Early Childhood Programs, and Caring for our Children from the American Public Health Association and American Academy of Pediatrics (2011).
- New TeachSource Video boxes, with questions for reflection and discussion, direct students to videos that reinforce chapter content by allowing them to observe children and teachers in child care settings. Videos are available at the book’s website, Education CourseMate.
- The text now addresses diversity and special needs with relevant information incorporated throughout, new Engaging Diverse Families sections in many of the Implications for Teachers sections, and an updated chapter, “Providing for Special Health Care Needs,” on caring for children with chronic illnesses and other heath challenges.
- Updated throughout, the fifth edition includes the most current research available on a variety of topics, including obesity and fast food, “green” cleaning and the Go Green Rating Scale for Early Childhood Settings, bed bugs, developing brain research, rating elementary school lunches, school gardens, and pandemic outbreaks.
SAFETY, NUTRITION, AND HEALTH IN EARLY EDUCATION, Fifth Edition, prepares readers for a career in early childhood education through a combination of basic information and theory, practical applications, and resources. Emphasizing the realities of working with children from diverse backgrounds, the book covers four major subject areas: safety, nutrition, health, and wellness. This extensively updated and revised fifth edition–now written to NAEYC, DAP, and AAP/APHA standards guidelines–includes more material on wellness, the latest Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2010, groundbreaking research on fast food from Yale University, new information on “green” cleaning and the Go Green Rating Scale for Early Childhood Settings, and information on bed bugs. New Reality Check boxes take a closer look at current topics, such as developing brain research, rating elementary school lunches, school gardens, and pandemic outbreaks. Suggestions throughout the text offer practical guidance for working with children with disabilities and special needs.
List Price: $ 192.95
Price: $ 124.99
[wprebay kw=”nutrition+education” num=”0″ ebcat=”-1″]