(as of Sep 26,2020 21:55:49 UTC – Details)
Do you dream of starting your own farm but wonder where to begin? Or do you already have a farm but wish to become more sustainable to compete in today's market? Start Your Farm, the first comprehensive business guide of its kind, covers these essential questions and more:
- Why be a farmer in the 21st century? Do you have what it takes?
- What does sustainable really mean, and how can a small (as little as one acre) to midsize farm survive alongside commodity-scale agriculture?
- How do you access education, land, and other needs with limited capital?
- How can you reap an actual profit, including a return on land investment?
- How do you build connections with employees, colleagues, and customers?
- At the end of the day, how do you measure success? (Hint: Cash your lifestyle paycheck.)
More than a practical guide, Start Your Farm is a hopeful call to action for anyone who aspires to grow wholesome, environmentally sustainable food for a living. Take it from Forrest Pritchard and Ellen Polishuk: Making this dream a reality is not for the faint of heart, but it's well within reach—and there's no greater satisfaction under the sun!
From the Publisher
An all-purpose handbook for today’s modern agricultural generation by two of the most respected figures in sustainable farming
Forrest Pritchard is the New York Times–bestselling author of Gaining Ground and Growing Tomorrow. He is also a full-time organic livestock farmer and seventh-generation producer.
Forrest and Ellen combine nearly five decades of experience to put forth a thoughtful, inspiring and all-encompassing guide to launching a successful farm!
Ellen Polishuk is a first-generation sustainable vegetable farmer. Formerly an owner of Potomac Vegetable Farms, she is a sought-after farm consultant and conference speaker.
Join the sustainable agriculture movement with…
An overview of the industry and farming economics
Start Your Farm offers an easy-to-grasp look into the farming industry, covering organic food sales growth, the average income of a farmer, agritourism and more!
Advice about maintaining a profitable farm
Run a lucrative farming operation with the authors’ essential insight on how to use money wisely for education, operation expenses, and even land purchases.
Everything you need to know about working the land!
This book covers it all, with accessible and necessary information about soil, seasonality, weather, infrastructure and much more.