Environmental Sustainability in the business world involves making choices that are in the interest of the natural world. It is one of the burning topics today as people are noticing the significant impact businesses and individuals can have on the environment.
Sustainability issues arise where there’s a risk of irreversible loss of things or qualities of the environment that people value. And when there are such risks, urgent action is required. Environmental sustainability programmes comprise effective actions to reduce:
– the use of physical resources
– the adoption of a “recycle everything/ buy recycled” approach
– the utilization of renewable rather than depleting resources
– the redesign of production processes and products to eliminate the production of harmful substances
– the protection and restoration of natural habitats and environments
Although environmentalists call for companies to increase business sustainability, there are several pressing reasons for companies to focus on sustainability. The rise in fuel and energy costs as well as growing manufacturing and production costs have pushed companies to look for alternative operating methods which can help them operate effectively while also reducing operational expenses.
More and more companies are compelled to take into account the impact of their operations on the environment due to the regulations that aim to reduce any harm to the environment. The common man’s awareness about environmental sustainability has added to the pressure to implement sustainable policies. As a result, the number of organisations focusing on business sustainability is rising.
There are a number of simple strategies and options accessible to businesses to help them improve their environmental sustainability:
– Assessing the amount of waste that their businesses generate, and take measures to either reduce the waste or manage it.
– Plan steps to enhance energy efficiency which can be done by simply avoiding energy waste and instead saving it. E.g. Turning off computers, and switching to fluorescent lighting. Such small steps can really make a difference and save you a lot of money.
– Monitoring and limiting the usage of natural resources such as water and fossil fuels can help you reduce negative impact on the environment.
By implementing effective business sustainability methods, companies can make sure to have genuine and quantifiable impact on both the environment as well as the company.
Rising awareness of sustainability will intensify the pressure on big businesses. In addition to pressure from the public, companies face pressure from the government’s introduction of new legislations which are geared towards increasing environmental sustainability.
The process of implementing measures to limit damage to the environment brings with it the lure of lesser costs as well as higher profits. This is effectively working in making more and more organisations continue to adopt new business sustainability strategies for a long term environmental sustainability.
Source by Samarpita Sahani