look back.: current health issues

look back.

look back.

Uploaded by:- browndog_09 (38829380@N02) @ 2012-03-11 10:37:44

i just have to brag about miss junie june for a minute… a good friend of our family, an older lady who is also the mayor of our town and very much an animal lover, had a surgery a month ago and has been in the hospital ever since with some unexpected complications. she has two beloved pets, a cat and an unruly, spoiled 120 pound dog. they have been in the boarding kennel this whole time… the hospital she is in allows the patients pets to be brought in for visitation… well, seeing as how her own dog is completely out of control and enormous, we have been talking about bringing alice in for a visit and just saying that she is my friend’s dog. somehow, she got the idea that we were bringing alice in on saturday (yesterday) and she had her heart set on it. with alice’s current health issues, it wouldn’t be safe to take her around sick people… so june got pressed into service!

i knew she would be good, but i had no idea just how awesome she would be. this little ten month old puppy amazed me, my sick friend, the hospital staff, the other patient in the room, and that other patient’s entire family… she walked in and acted as if she had been visiting human hospitals all her life. she did all of her tricks for the nurses and some patients, and for my friend as well. and after she was done with her tricks and we boring hoomans were talking she just laid down on the hard floor and took a relaxed nap. we were there about an hour and a half, and she never once acted uncomfortable or nervous, or bored.

the best part was when we first went in the room, mrs. cline wanted to see june right away, so i took her over to the bedside. she put her front paws up on the bed so she could be petted, but she didn’t squirm around or try to get up on the bed or do anything that could have hurt the patient. she just stood there and enjoyed her petting and gave mrs. cline the most serious june face ever. this went on for about a minute, the two of them just staring into each other’s eyes, trying to figure it all out. mrs. cline was thrilled with her visitor. i’m sure it helped to ease the pain of being separated from her own critters.

she is such a special girl, that junie june. and to think i came so close to not keeping her…

This entry was posted in Health and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to look back.: current health issues

1. Andromeda Honds says:

You came close to not keeping her? Did I miss something? She’s such a sweetie, sounds like she wants to be a service dog! Sweetness!<br/>
    Andromeda Honds

2. wakethesun. says:

What a wonderful girl, and what an awesome hospital! I think some dogs just have this natural instinct about them – I’ve seen it in quite a few vizslas, including steve. The first time he met someone in a wheelchair was when he was about a year old. He got very close, but didn’t even offer his paw, which he normally does. He leaned in, but not so much as to press against the woman, who bruised very easily. If it was a normal, healthy person, he would have insisted on shaking hands and tried to sit on their lap. It’s amazing the way they figure things out on their own. Junie is going to be a very special dog with lots of titles, I think :)<br/>
    wakethesun.

3. I Flickr 4 JOY says:

… and only 10 months old too! Junie June you are a sensitive, people-reading wonder. Your mama isn’t the only one proud of you.<br/>
    I Flickr 4 JOY

4. seeit_snapit says:

This is such a wonderful story!! Hugs to June! :))<br/>
    seeit_snapit

5. gotsetters says:

such a great story about June. Looks like she’ll be a good little pet therapy girl too. I didn’t realize you thought about not keeping her. Look at her shine now.<br/>
    gotsetters

6. * photo - past* says:

OK, that is an absolutely fabulous story. Looks like June is a herding and healing specialist. :)<br/>
    * photo – past*

7. Agnes Siljekil says:

She is amazing! I know pet therapy is the best ever at the hospitals! And Kelli, you did keep her : )<br/>
    Agnes Siljekil

8. LHD09 says:

Oh how awesome you are Junie! To be such a young pup and so well under control is most impressive! What a great feeling for everyone, you, Mrs. Cline and all the other sick people! Dogs, there the best medicine ever!<br/>
    LHD09

9. maimerd says:

Oh my gosh. June is fantastic! That’s so wonderful to hear about how great she was! I have to say that I agree with focusenvy, that therapy work might be the thing for June. Since she’s such a good girl with people. ^^ And, in my opinion, if I were ever sick and in the hospital, I, for one, would love to have a visit from her. She’s such a lovable character. : )
    Btw, on a totally unrelated note, I’m not sure if you’ve ever heard this, but every time I read or say June’s name I think about this book series I used to read in grade school called "Junie B. Jones." and sometimes I catch myself reading her name as Junie B. Jones. haha<br/>
    maimerd

10. Kirstyxo says:

She sure is a special girl! I bet that made Mrs.Cline’s day!<br/>
    Kirstyxo

11. Dexell1827 says:

How wonderful she is! She’s definitely a natural! :-)<br/>
    Dexell1827

12. focusenvy says:

It sounds like she’s a natural Florence Nightingale! Have you thought of therapy work for June? I don’t think any of us dog and cat lovers needs a scientific study to tell us how good pets are for our health.
    (I love this picture!)<br/>
    focusenvy

13. bublynski says:

She’s amazing!! I’m so glad you kept this serious beauty, too – when you were so frustrated with her at first I was worried, but of course she won you over! :-)<br/>
    bublynski

14. anna&parsley says:

She is brilliant! We all knew she would be! Lovely story!<br/>
    anna&parsley

15. utski7 says:

Oh awesome Junie!! what a good big girl she is.
    Hope big siter Alice will be much better soon.<br/>
    utski7

16. Mumford Moose says:

This is great news. Good girl junie! wow you should be proud!<br/>
    Mumford Moose

17. Spud Dogs says:

that’s so amazing! i bet it did mrs. cline a lot of good
    wish our hospital allowed patients pets.
    june’s turning into a therapy dog 🙂
    you must be so proud of her!<br/>
    Spud Dogs